Pages

Friday, October 9, 2020

DEVELOPING AN ARTICLE INTO A MEMOIR!


My lovely Scottish Granny in the Scottish snow!
(one of the photos that appears in The Scottish Connection)

Writing Tip: Consider developing what started out as a feature article into a full length book! After I returned to Scotland with my mother and young sons to revisit our Scottish roots, I wrote an article about our trip. I submitted the article to various publications over the years, but at 4,000+ words it appeared it was too long. Eventually a prestigious Canadian magazine editor said he loved it and wanted to use it. Unfortunately, a year later the publisher decided against it. I think they just couldn't find where to fit it in, as it was so long!

Then a light went off in my brain. Why not develop the article into a book? I dug out copies of my ancestors' marriage, birth and death certificates which had been in my late mother's possession, so I could add that information. And I scanned old photos plus some from the Scottish trip. 

I put it all together and "The Scottish Connection: A Journey Back - Mini-memoir", with Scottish ancestry, historical facts, genealogy, comparable prices, geographical descriptions, personal anecdotes, nostalgia and precious old photos, was released on Amazon as an e-book and in paperback!

Take a look at it, if you like. There's a sample "Look Inside" on Amazon - CLICK HERE





No comments:

Post a Comment