Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2021

LOVE, MYSTERY & SECRET PASSAGES!

 



I have been asked if Craigenveoch, which I wrote about in my mini-memoir “The Scottish Connection”, was the setting for the Scottish part of my novel “Dangerous Devotion” (Book One in my Buchanan Mystery Romance Series, set in The Bahamas and Scotland). I actually drew on my experiences as a child at Boquhan Cottage on the Boquhan Old House estate for the novel and I researched old Scottish houses like Boquhan and Craigenveoch to ensure that my descriptions were accurate for the era when they were built.

There was no secret passage in Boquhan or Craigenveoch houses, as far as I know. I wrote about this spooky feature completely from my imagination in "Dangerous Devotion"! However, from my research I found that secret passages were often included in these old homes when they were built, because of the religious unrest at the time. Priests and soldiers sometimes needed a place to lie low and to have a quick escape route!

“Dangerous Devotion” is available as an e-book and in paperback at

AMAZON.COM

OR

UNIVERSAL LINK

(books in this series can be read as stand alones).

And "The Scottish Connection", also available as an e-book and in paperback, can be found here:-

AMAZON.COM

OR

UNIVERSAL LINK


 


2 comments:

  1. Yes, secret passages and 'priest holes' are a reasonably common feature of many historic houses in Britain. In the grandest there were even special passageways and doors for staff, so the posh people could ignore their servants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so interesting about the "posh people", Patsy! Thanks for that.

      Delete