Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2021

"NEW" ENGLISH LANGUAGE IDIOSYNCRASIES!

 


I don't know if it's the same around the world, but I've only just recently noticed in Nassau how officials say "would have" instead of just saying that something was actually done!

Police officials make statements such as: "The suspect would have been arraigned" instead of "The suspect was arraigned".

Medical officials make statements such as: "We would have completed the testing" instead of "We completed the testing"!

I wonder why this is. Has it always been around and I just haven't noticed it?

I "would" welcome feedback!


2 comments:

  1. I've not come across that in the UK. If someone said, 'We would have completed the testing,' I'd take it to mean they intended to, but didn't actually do so for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right, Patsy! That's what it should mean, but that's not what they mean!

    ReplyDelete